Origin and Supply of Stone
How is Stone Mined?
The beautiful Grandidierite is mined by mere hands due to the remote locations it is found in and hence is manually extracted and sorted on-sight, by the expert craftsman. By using the spades and pickaxes, the weathered pegmatite which is the meddling igneous rock composed of intertwining crystals is deposited nearby is exploited around the few acres to extract the beautiful Grandidierite. The skilled workers further gingerly tweak the minerals to avoid the harm to the stone and the further damage to their value.
Facts about Grandidierite
- It is a bluish green beautiful stone that first came in light in during 1902.
- It is durable for everyday use, offering eminent sheen.
- Grandidierite falls among the top 10 rare and expensive gemstones of the world and hence is highly sought.
- This perfect stone is derived in a very brittle and uneven form, which is often very tough to mould.
- Only skilled artificer can work on this gorgeous stone.
- Government of Madagascar recently started stocking up Grandidierite under their surveillance since it was earlier exported at very low price.
- The mines of Grandidierite are tough to reach since the roads are extremely rugged and rocky.
Properties of Grandidierite
1. Colour: The colour of the Grandidierite depends highly on how it is procured and viewed. It can offer the hues of dark greenish blue, green or colourless depending on the angle from which you are looking at it. The colour of the Grandidierite is due to the presence of iron into it and hence the iron can be blamed for the rich colour offering its high-end value.
2. Cut: It is usually tough to cut a Grandidierite since it shows cleavage in two directions with unequal fractures and extended crystals, making it a challenge to cut and carve. Due to this, the most Grandidierite are small and oval in shape.
3. Clarity: The small and gorgeous Grandidierite are transparent and translucent and hence offers opaque look with the beauty of their crafting. It’s high clarity and sheen makes it stand out and an exceptional gemstone in the market.
What to remember while buying a Grandidierite?
- 1. Since Grandidierite is the third expensive gemstone in the world (According to Forbes), we would suggest you to always check the quality assurance before investing over one such beauty.
- 2. Always get the quality certificates, to ensure that you only get the genuine Grandidierite. ...
- 3. There are many simulated gemstones in the market that closely resembles with the Grandidierite and hence always keep your eyes open for the replicated piece of this beauty.
- 4. The Grandidierite is not treated since it is a natural gemstone, always look out for the natural qualities.
- 5. If you do not intend to spend a good fortune and still want to own one such beauty like the gorgeous Grandidierite, get yourself the Apatite, Verde Onyx along with green tourmaline, peridot, Brazilian mint garnet and green fluorite and at last the beautiful Aquamarine.
- 6. Grandidierite weighing more than 2 Karat is extremely rare, so always keep a check if you are getting it in higher karat and bigger size.
- 7. The eye clean Grandidierite is extremely rare, they usual comes in uneven brittle finish, hence look out for the fake copies.
Frequently asked Questions
Yes, the great Grandidierite is considered a bit high-end gemstone in the market, since it is the rarest and falls under the category of top ten rare and expensive stones available in the world in the world due to the limited supply and extraction.
This gorgeous stone can be used in jewellery and ornaments and with the hardness of 7.5, the Grandidierite is scratch resistant, which makes it an ideal option to be used in jewellery.
This exclusive stone is typically available in beautiful bluish green colour which is derived from the iron content into it and hence highly depends on the proposition of the same.
Other than the looks and opulence of the exclusive factor, the gorgeous Grandidierite is often believed to be a source that can boost your communication skills. It is further said to be connected with the faith, trust, patience and respect.
From the very beginning, the traces of Grandidierite are found in very exclusive locations and that’s what makes this stone unique and not easy to be found. It was traced very first in the Madagascar and further was in other locations, including New Zealand, Norway, Suriname, Algeria, Italy, Malawi, India, the United States, Canada, Antarctica and at last Czech Republic
Grandidierite is a form of magnesium aluminium borosilicate with the formula (Mg,Fe)Al3(BO3)(SiO4)O2 (Lacroix, 1902, 1922a,b) offered in the hardness of 7.5 on the Mohs scale, similar to a Garnet.
This beauty is a trichroic gem, offering a great melange of colours depending on the viewing angle
One should always buy a Grandidierite from an authorized source.
Earlier it was believed that the Grandidierite can not be translucent but now most of the gems are available in translucent to opaque tones, so the value of the stone can not be determined through its colour.
Grandidierite is faceted, usually with cuts that offer exact carat weight, such as oval shape.